Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Holidays are here and New Year is Upon Us.


The holidays are upon us and I am looking forward mainly to new year’s eve. I have always loved the idea of a new beginning. My moving to Dallas away from Memphis four years ago was a new beginning in my life. This is not to say that I will always live in Dallas, but this was definitely a good place to start for me on my journey to a new beginning. As a single man with no children, I can see myself moving to another place in a few years like Miami Beach or somewhere south of the border. I can see myself reaching the goals that I set for myself years ago in my youth. Changing one’s environment means a lot when trying to reach personal goals.


As we move closer to the New Year, I have the highest of hopes for myself, my family and my friends. Those of you who take time out to stop and read what I have to say on a weekly basis, I can truly say that I appreciate you. I appreciate the honest responses and feedback. Believe it or not, it helps me to grow more and more with each blog-post that I write. Granted, my growth may be different from your growth. According to an old Gramblinite and former friend, last week, I have not grown racially or in my perspective on race. Of course, I beg to differ. I think what he meant to say that the American people have not grown in regards to race.


I learned a long time ago that when it comes to the topic of race and obviously race-related issues in society, people are sensitive and people are fine with being in denial about race. I, on the other hand, welcome the topic of race. No, I have not had sex with, had children with and even dated anyone outside of my race. I am very proud of myself for this. However, I am open to dating outside of my ethnicity (as long as she is not white) and as long as she has melanin flowing through her body, it’s all good. This is not to say that I can’t be cool  and be friends with all people of all races because I am cool with all people of all races I am friendly with people of other races and even sexual orientations. I just choose not to share my bed or my seed with a non-black woman. Is this a crime against humanity? I think not. Sadly, many in my own race believe that this is a crime against humanity.


With the New Year approaching, my hope is that we all grow in our own special ways. I want us as Black people to finally stop casting out those of us who are fine with just loving Black people. This does not make us less intelligent. This does not make you (with your white spouse/mixed kids) any more racially aware than those of us who have chosen not to go that route when deciding to date and create a family. This does not make us hateful towards white people or another ethnic group. This does not make us hateful towards Black people who have chosen to date and make with whites and other ethnicities. This does not make us less intelligent than you. As a matter of fact, I think this makes us more secure in whom we are as Black people, believers of God and more knowledgeable of our culture what we have to go through in this country historically and currently.


What I just said strangely does not have to be said when it comes to White Jews, Italian, Asians, Hispanics, Latinos, Greeks, and W.A.S.P.S because somehow it is expected for them to date and mate within their own racial and ethnic groups and not be criticized or labeled racially immature because they not only BELIEVE but PRACTICE love amongst their groups. Sounds interesting huh? As I grow, I want to you grow with me. As I continue to love you (despite our different views on certain topics) it would be nice if you continued to love me even into the New Year. I don’t write and share my thoughts for the purpose of creating enemies. I write and share my thoughts because I believe that we can still can talk, disagree, agree, come up with solutions, and after the conversation is over we can hug one another and appreciate the light we both shared that opened us up to a perspective that we probably had never considered before.


Anyway, I have one more article to post for this year. It won’t be anything new. It will be a repost of an article that I wrote a couple of years ago addressing another pertinent issue in society, which is the ever-group trend of Teen Pregnancy. Yes. I will definitely go out this year with a bang. If I don’t see you or speak to you before the New Year, I would like to take this time to wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year. If you are in Dallas, I may see you at one of the New Year’s Eve parties somewhere in the Dallas metroplex.



No comments: